Hera's Cysters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hello... Is there anybody out there??
by Nix Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:51 am

» Meaningful Lyrics
by Joeyrella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:49 am

» world book day
by Joeyrella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:34 am

» Possible job change
by P C Fri 07 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

» FAO Joeyrella - i need your help.....
by Chanie Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:53 pm

» Childminder
by P C Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

» I'm back (again) sorry for not being around
by Cookie1979 Fri 10 Jan 2014, 2:42 am

» Happy 2014
by Cookie1979 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:03 am

» Homemade Christmas
by Chanie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm

» There's No Going Back...
by P C Sun 15 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

» Christmas presents
by P C Fri 13 Dec 2013, 5:35 am

» Forum Colours
by Joeyrella Mon 02 Dec 2013, 7:14 am

» RIP Paul Walker
by Chanie Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

» where do you shop for food and how much do you spend?
by jannette6 Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:40 am

» Favourite Shops?
by P C Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:08 am

» poundland has opened on my high street...
by P C Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:04 am

» recommend christmas products
by Nix Sat 23 Nov 2013, 5:07 am

» Sorry I've been AWOL
by Joeyrella Wed 20 Nov 2013, 7:13 am

» Cheeky Sod
by Cookie1979 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 8:22 pm

» tv - what are you watching
by Chanie Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:13 am

» POLL: Christmas Background
by Chanie Sun 17 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

» Bra Advice
by P C Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:51 am

» What are you supposed to be doing?
by Nix Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:45 pm

» Low Gi: Granola
by P C Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:43 am

» The perfect storm.....
by Nix Tue 29 Oct 2013, 1:48 am

Possible job change

3 posters

Go down

Possible job change Empty Possible job change

Post by Cookie1979 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm

So I had a message from an old colleague yesterday who now works for a new company and infact the MD of that company used to be the MD at my company, anyway she messaged me asking if I'd be interested in a script writing job (I work in Market Research).  It would involve predominantly working from home, would only need to go into the office once or twice a month, looking in the region of a £6000 a year pay rise.  One problem is I don't want to work full time, so if they really want me we're going to have to negotiate my hours.  I'll probably hear back next week.

On one hand I'm excited, we really could do with the extra money...on the other I've been with my company over 8 years now and I'm comfortable there, I have a great boss and the idea of going elsewhere is really scary.  I think I need to go for it - obviously will look around first and have a meeting with them to see if its definitely what I want.  On an upside about 5 people who work there actually used to work for my company, and they use the exact same software as we do.  Only thing is it is over an hour away but with predominantly working from home it wouldn't be a problem.
Cookie1979
Cookie1979

Back to top Go down

Possible job change Empty Re: Possible job change

Post by Chanie Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:52 am

It sounds really good cookie.  I know you don't want to work full time, but could you offset the full time hours against the travelling time in your old job?  For example, if you work 9-5 but was 8-6 ,with travel, could you work 4 long days of 8-6?  Or would they let you work 4 days?  That's practically full time and you won't be distracted by coeagues, meaning you may be able to work faster.

Plus, It could be handy for when Addison starts school as I'm assuming you could negotiate being able to do the school run.

I know money isn't everything, but think of the benefits to your family.

Cou

Chanie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie1979 Sun 26 Jan 2014, 6:22 pm

If I start early then I'd need to get a childminder before preschool, I would be open to working later though as you say on the days I go into the office I don't get home til 6pm. I didn't really think about that...I was thinking though I could get a childminder on a Monday afternoon so I could work the full day. I will sit down and work out possible hours, would add up to more than 30 hours a week. Thanks Chanie, that's given me food for thought.

The money really would be a big help, we'd be able to do some improvements on the house that we badly need to do. Xx
Cookie1979
Cookie1979

Back to top Go down

Post by P C Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

It sounds ideal if you can work the hours to suit you and your family needs. Will it be set hours or can you log on earlier/later? You may find you can do an extra few hours If you get up and make a start earlier like by the time your up and ready for work then travelling to work all takes time and you could have an hour or twos work done by then. It sounds like its the days uou need to go into the office that will be more tricky.

Hubby has this type of job and it works great. He is mostly office based but usually 1-2 days at home. Also lots of half days as he can do a lot of his work at home.

He can be flexible sometimes. Like he can get up at 6 am and get finished early afternoon. As he is in the house he dosnt always stop for breaks and can eat a quick toastie or whatever at the same time. Sometimes he types away at 4.30 still in bed if he wakes up early but thats a few hours done at times that suit him. He does have a lot scheduled throughout the day and will take telephone calls and dial in for meetings etc from home so he is still doing a full days work without the stress of collegues harrassing him, petrol and rush hour traffic etc

P C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie1979 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm

They said the hours would be flexible, maybe they will give me a set amount of hours and I'd do those hours depending on the demand...so maybe one or two evenings and even a couple of hours at the weekend. I'd prefer to have Monday and Friday afternoons off and do an extra few hours to suit than miss out of my 2 afternoons with Addison.

Thanks for the ideas P C, between you and Chanie I've got ideas on how to negotiate hours if they need me to work more than 30 hours a week. Xx
Cookie1979
Cookie1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Chanie Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:08 pm

Cookie, have you made your decision yet?

Chanie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie1979 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 7:45 pm

Yep and decided not to go for it, I've known a fair few people who have gone to work there and I only hear negative things. I spoke to one friend and she gave me her honest opinion and she thought I'd be doing alot more hours than I am now. I dont want less hours with my son, I'm happy with my work and I'm happy doing the hours I am doing, and they fit in nicely with Addison's preschool. The money would have been great and I was very very tempted at first but good sense prevailed and I realised that yes the money would have been good, but I dont think the hours would have been. I also had to take into consideration that my work are very understanding about Addison going into hospital regularly in the winter, and I get paid while I'm off with him, I couldn't rely on a new company to be the same. I have a great boss here!
Cookie1979
Cookie1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Chanie Fri 07 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

That's a shame, but at least you were able to make an informed decision.  Plus,it's nice to be considered.

Chanie

Back to top Go down

Post by P C Fri 07 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

Sounds like you made the right descion. The money would have been great but not worth it if you are misrable in your job. Also you would also feel like your not switching off like hubby constantly has the lap top or blackberry on the go even if we are out and about on goes the blackberry lol, he is a total workaholic xx

P C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum